Amazing Acoustic Covers of Popular Songs

I spent a lazy Sunday afternoon lying outside on the grass and soaking up the Sun when I inevitably began to get bored of my Last.fm playlist. I started clicking arbitrarily around YouTube looking for some new good music. Never knowing where to start when hunting for new artists I ended up listening to a list of amazing acoustic covers of somewhat generic pop songs. Some of these I only discovered today, not all are acoustic covers, and not all are covers of pop songs, but what got me onto this list was the sheer volume of incredible acoustic artists repairing the memories of people scarred by shitty pop music.

Richard Cheese – Down with the Sickness

(originally by Disturbed)

Jamie Cullum – Please Don’t Stop the Music

(originally by Rihanna. This is one of the few covers I’ve found which has a decent music video. Worth a watch)

Jeff Buckley – Hallelujah

(originally by Leonard Cohen)

Mat Weddle – Heya

(originally by Outkast)

Adam Lambert – Mad World

(originally by Gary Jules. A woman in my office introduced me to this cover. I think it is better than the original)

Ray LaMontagne – Crazy

(originally by Gnarls Barkley. I must have listened to this song about fifteen times on loop the first time I discovered it)

Daughtry – Poker Face

(originally by Lady Gaga)

Israel Kamakawiwo’ole – Somewhere over the Rainbow

(originally by Judy Garland from The Wizard of Oz)

John Mayer – Free Falling

(originally by Tom Petty. A very beautiful love song)

David Cook – Billie Jean

(originally by Michael Jackson. This song is brilliant, and I am a huge Michael Jackson fan. It’s not everyone who can nail a song by the King of Pop)

1. #1 by basil on August 31, 2011 - 08:28

Awesome tracks… bar one. lol

John Mayers rendition of ‘Human Nautre’at Jacko’s funeral is one of the most moving pieces of music I have heard in ages.

Nice one Kelly.

2. #2 by Phil on October 15, 2011 - 02:53

They are not quite covers of pop songs, I still enjoy them quite a bit though:
    Classic meets Cuba = classical music covered with Cuban rhythms, by Klazz Brothers & Cuba Percussion:

• #3 by kelltrill on October 18, 2011 - 12:44

I really like the ones you posted, especially the Classic Meets Cuba one. Very vibey =)

3. #4 by Katherine Smith (@k8iebeth) on November 1, 2011 - 05:34

Gavin Mikhail covers “Skinny Love”, originally by Bon Iver. Corey Gray & Jake Coco cover “Pumped Up Kicks”, originally by Foster the People. You can buy them on Amazon. They’re pretty decent acoustic covers. (though, yes, I realize Bon Iver’s original was also acoustic)

4. #5 by Justin on December 24, 2011 - 20:19

You do know that Gary Jules actually covered Mad World, which was originally by Tears for Fears. Yes, the 80’s band.

5. #7 by Richard on April 26, 2012 - 20:39

Some great songs there. We like to think we do some pretty good covers of classic indie tunes. Try this one on for size? (Resurrection by Stone Roses) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsXLQXVmY8w

6. #8 by Caleb on April 26, 2012 - 21:13

This is definitley worth listening to.

7. #9 by Victoria_Danann on August 11, 2012 - 00:06

Check out some Rick Roll – Never Gonna Give You Up by Derik Nelson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTSRWEEWWa0 Also the unplugged version of Promises, Promises by Naked Eyes is way better than the original, but it’s not on youtube.

8. #10 by Sophian on December 15, 2012 - 14:25

9. #11 by John Owens on February 9, 2013 - 01:14

That cover on american idol is not a cover of billie jean, it’s a cover of chris cornell’s cover of billie jean.

10. #12 by mandolin picks on February 21, 2013 - 03:11

I’ve always liked acoustic covers. It feels like they just put in so much soul into every line. It is nice to actually listen to pop songs that are acoustically covered. The meaning behind the words is apparent and not hidden by loud music which makes it all the more special.

11. #13 by wonkydonkshelf on May 28, 2013 - 20:58